Most home maintenance activities are seasonal. Seeing as we are well into the dead of winter here in Brampton Ontario, here are some great maintenance ideas for your Brampton home.
- Check and clean or replace furnace air filters each month during the heating season. If you have ventilation system, such as an
- HRV, filters should be checked every two months.
- Vacuum bathroom fan grill.
- Vacuum fire and smoke detectors, as dust or spider webs can prevent them from functioning properly.
- Vacuum radiator grilles on back of refrigerators and freezers.
- Check smoke, carbon monoxide and security alarms and replace batteries.
- Check the pressure gauge on all fire extinguishers; recharge or replace if necessary.
- Check the basement floor drain to ensure the trap contains water; refill with water if necessary.
- Monitor the interior of your home for excessive moisture levels. Over time excessive moisture can cause damage over time and pose health problems. Take corrective action if required.
- Make sure gas meters, gas appliance vents, exhaust vents and basement windows are clear of snow.
- Examine windows and doors for ice accumulation or cold air leaks, take note to repair or replace in the spring.
- Monitor outdoor vents, gas meters and chimneys for ice and snow build up.
Consult with an appropriate Brampton contractor or your gas utility for information on how to safely deal with any ice problems you may discover.
Check sump pump alien to ensure proper operation, and to ensure that there are no line obstructions or visible leaks.
Remove interior insect screens from windows to allow air from the heating system to keep condensation off window glass and to allow more free solar energy into your home.